When taking a trip to any new destination, it is vital that you are fully aware of important details concerning your destination. These are things you need to do before you leave and after you have arrived. Here are eight details you should know before traveling to Bratislava, the capital city of Slovakia. And while staying informed, don’t forget to have fun, too.
1. Location – The City of Bratislava shares a border with both Hungary and Austria. Budapest is about 300 km south, while Vienna is about 65 km to the West. These cities can be even be reached directly by using Bratislava airport transfers.
2. History – This city has been inhabited for thousands of years by different settlers. From the Celtics, the Romans and later the Slavs. This rich history has contributed to its grand architecture and impressive culture.
3. Language – In Bratislava, not everyone speaks your native tongue. Most of the locals speak the Slovak language and some rudimentary Russian. So consider taking a dictionary with you, or downloading a translator.
4. Holidays – During the national and religious holidays in this city, there is no shopping. You should note this so that you can be prepared and plan around holidays, or you could reschedule your trip.
5. Visit Time – The period from May to September is the perfect time to take a trip to Bratislava. This period is best because, at this time, the weather is quite friendly and warm. But as this is also peak period, remember to book hotel rooms well in advance.
6. Money – Euros are the currency of this city, but most hotels and restaurants accept credit cards. You would need some euros for small transactions. The bank is the best place to carry out this exchange of currencies. And don’t forget to leave tips for services, at least 10% of your total bill.
7. Power – Power supply voltage, in line with European standards, is 220v. So, endeavor to ask your hotel for an adapter, or get one yourself, if your appliances are not built for that.